Friday, January 29, 2010

Perfection

To me this little outbuilding is pure perfection...


Funny that I see it that way, seeing how we, (myself included) tend to think of perfection as everything exact and just so... straight lines, clean, pristine.... no flaws.

So why, when I look at this structure, with its peeling paint, patched and semi sunken in roof, and nary a straight line to be found ANYWHERE... why does it sing absolute perfection to me?

I think it sings to me because its got soul. It's lived. And all of its perceived flaws tell its story. This little shed is just infinitely more interesting then any new structure ever could be, and I am grateful for the lesson it helps to teach me about redefining perfection.

4 comments:

  1. great photo! i too am fascinated by old crumbing buildings. it must be the romantic in us. i especially love old barns. and especially when the paint is peeling.. not sure why that is!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaahhhh.... peeling paint on an old barn thrills me, too!
    ... I guess because it emphasizes the passage of time, stories that could be told if the old structures could only speak... yup, it's gotta be the romantic in us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It also has gorgeous colour in this photo. That sings to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this one. I think it's that robin's egg blue roof. Looks like tin...my favorite. I am enthralled with old, falling down buildings, too. There is something that the passage of time does to a building that can't be replicated any other way.

    ReplyDelete

Please know that I truly appreciate your comments!